• Your cart is currently empty

Health Benefits of Hemp… Beyond CBD

Everybody is talking about hemp-derived CBD, but did you know about hemp’s other superpowers?



Super Seeds



“Super Seeds” get their status from their ability to provide pack a nutrient-dense punch with every serving. They are beneficial to our health, providing us with antioxidants, vitamins & minerals, healthy fats, and a diverse amino acid profile!



Several seeds like pumpkin, chia, flax etc fall into this category; but the one which really stands out is the hemp seeds



Hemp for the Win



Hemp’s association with the psychoactive, THC-rich components of the cannabis plant is a misconception that needs to be cleared up.



Since I do not like to use the prohibition-era term ‘marijuana’ while referring to our sacred plant, let’s refer to the plant that does not get you high as industrial hemp and the more traditional, THC-rich strain as cannabis. Both are of the same plant species – Cannabis Sativa L – but industrial hemp contains below .3% THC and therefore does not produce the “high” usually associated with cannabis. We can use industrial hemp for CBD production, fiber/textiles, fuel, building materials, compost and more. But one of the most amazing uses is as a superfood, or “super seed”.



High Nutrition Content



This is the main reason for hemp seeds being a great choice for your daily supplement. Hemp seeds have a high nutritional content. It is technically a nut, and hence have the common property of being rich in essential fatty acids like alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid. Hemp seeds are also a rich protein source. Hemp contains some natural sources of vitamin D and minerals like phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, zinc etc. and all the 20 amino acids including all the essential amino acids.





Complete Protein Source



It may sound unbelievable, but hemp seeds provide similar amounts of protein as beef or lamb. A high amount of calories (about 25% of the total energy produced) are provided from proteins in the case of hemp seeds. Apart from that, hemp seeds are considered a complete protein source, meaning hemp seeds contain all the amino acids which are required in the human body. High levels of methionine, cysteine, arginine are contained in hemp seeds.



Lowers Bad Cholesterol



Hemp seeds are known to contain DHA and EPA, the substances proven to lower the triglycerides. Control on the blood triglyceride and cholesterol levels protect a hemp user from heart diseases. Some studies also suggest that hemp seeds are also effective in cases of atherosclerosis or possible thrombosis.





Can Prevent Heart Disease



As for lower levels of triglyceride and cholesterols, hemp keeps the heart problems at bay. The unsaturated fat content, when compared to saturated fat, is higher than the other. This prevents cases of atherosclerosis or plaque-buildup on the inside of arteries, allowing a healthy heart and a heart ailment free life.



Healthy Skin



Hemp is a well-known source of polyunsaturated and essential fatty acids. It has a ratio of about 3:1 of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. This balance between the polyunsaturated fatty acids and ability to remove the saturated ones from the body has a really good effect on our skin. Studies have shown that administering hemp seed oil to people with eczema has some positive effects on their skin problems. Hemp is also known to relieve dry skin and improve cases for irritation and itchiness.






Whole hemp seeds have a special property of having a rich fibre content. About 80% of hemp fiber content is insoluble and the rest 20% is soluble fibre. Both of these types of fibres have their own properties and functions. Soluble fibers help the gut bacteria to increase their digestive levels. Whereas insoluble fibres increase the gut roughage amount, helping the digestive tract to be cleaned more efficiently and helping in a better digestive environment.



Symptoms of PMS & Menopause



A major percentage of women in reproductive ages suffer from premenstrual syndromes (PMS). It is caused by the change in the level of the hormone prolactin. Now, prostaglandin E1 is produced by gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which reduces the effects of prolactin. It also helps in the cases of premenstrual syndromes. Hemp seeds, being high in GLA, maybe actually beneficial in these cases. Some also say that hemp seeds also help in reducing menopause syndromes and taking care of the hormonal imbalances and inflammations.